Rafael Sobis: This year will be much more difficult for Fluminense
Fluminense striker Rafael Sobis believes winning the Copa Libertadores will be even more difficult for the reigning Brasileirão champions this season.
Sobis, 27, who won the trophy twice with Internacional, scoring in both finals, admitted that winning the Libertadores is the main target for Abel Braga’s side this year, as it is a trophy that Fluminense have yet to win.
“We have to have the edge,” Sobis told Lancenet!
“This year will be much more difficult than last year but we will continue with the same goal and try to win it. We are aware that this year is hard and we´re working hard to win.”
Sobis believes that Fluminense, who were knocked out by Boca Juniors at the quarterfinal stage last year, are on the right track but is aware of the strong competition they will face for the prize.
“It is important to keep the base, it takes the right team to take advantage. There was a little change, but we kept everybody.
“Brazilian football, each year that passes, has become more difficult, more complicated. That goes for the Libertadores as well.
“All teams are very good, much better. But there´s always a surprise: a team that is considered favourite that gets knocked out. So we have to guard regardless of opponent that comes ahead.”
Chelsea target Taison returns to Brazil after Blues fail to agree a fee with Metalist – Report
Metalist Kharkiv forward Taison has returned to Brazil fearing his dream move to Chelsea is over.
Taison, 24, who can play anywhere across the forward line, has been in London for talks with the European champions over the past few weeks and, after sorting out complicated work permit issues which means he is now free to play on the UK, believed he was close to securing a move.
However, the Daily Mail are reporting that, despite attending a Chelsea game, the move has yet to go through as Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has yet to sanction the transfer, with the club haggling over the £11m price tag.
Metalist have set Chelsea a deadline of Wednesday to agree terms as they want the deal sorting out before they return after their winter break.
Yet with Chelsea stalling over the fee, they now face competition from Premier League champions Manchester City who have shown an interest in signing the former Internacional star.
Edenilson admits Corinthians are favourites to win titles again this year
Corinthians midfielder Edenilson believes it is right his club should be considered favourites to win more titles this year after a winning the Copa Libertadores and Club World Cup last season.
Edenilson, 23, who played 21 times for the Timão in the Brasileirão last season, believes expectation is a good thing.
“For everything we did last year, I do not think it´s wrong to think so (being favourites),” he told Globo Esporte.
“But it will not affect anything, because it is on the field that things are decided. I see a good side to this favouritism, but on the other hand we need to play well every game.”
Edenilson will be a vital member of the Corinthians team at the beginning of the season as it is likely they will rest their big stars for the start of the Copa Libertadores in February, meaning the midfielder will be crucial in the Campeonato Paulista campaign.
“We must prioritise the Paulista at the beginning, yes. It is an important competition and last year we did not reach the finals. Now, let´s do better to try to win the title.
Botafogo striker Loco Abreu close to agreeing move to Uruguayan side Nacional - Report
Botafogo striker Loco Abreu is close to agreeing a move to Uruguayan club side Nacional, according to reports in Uruguay.
Abreu, 36, has been told he is no longer wanted at Botafogo and is free to talk to other clubs. He has been absent from training for the past few days while he tries to negotiate a deal with Nacional but the deal is complicated by the player’s salary.
The report suggests that the player and his agent are flying back to Rio de Janeiro on Tuesday to talk to Botafogo president Maurício Assumpção and put forward a proposal where the player would sign for Nacional for two seasons, with Botafogo contributing to some of the wages for this period.
However, Botafogo say they have yet to hear from the player and if a deal is not completed by Tuesday then they will force the player to return to training with the rest of the squad.
If Abreu does sign for the Uruguayan club he will have the chance to play in this year’s Copa Libertadores competition. Nacional have been drawn into group 1 alongside Boca Juniors (Argentina), Barcelona (Ecuador) and Toluca (Mexico).
Last year Abreu was Botafogo’s third top goalscorer behing Elkeson and Herrera with 12 goals in 19 games.
Brasil: Flamengo, Vasco, Fluminense, Botafogo (100% Carioca) Rio > Säo Paulo
MENGÃO TRI DA AMÈRICA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RlVt8zJhXQ